Friday, December 17, 2004

Is it or isn't it?

Today in Missouri an amber alert was issued for a missing fetus. The mother, who was eight months pregnant, was strangled and the baby was taken from her body. This is a horrible story. My problem with the reporting and question is this: If that mother had gone into labor, she would now have a baby. However, because she didn't deliver, it is simply a fetus? I can't get my mind around this logic. It was a baby as it grew and it is a baby now. I pray for the husband who lost a wife and father who lost a child. Pray the baby is recovered.

UPDATE: Infant Found
Evidently, at some point the fetus became a baby. Interesting. Thank God they found her.

4 comments:

Cesar said...

they cut the baby out (and found it now, thank god). is anyone arguing that it's a fetus?

Invisible Hand said...

My question was whether it was a baby or not. The original story reported a missing fetus. I was simply trying to understand why they would say fetus rather than baby. It just seems like the report goes out of its way to not say it was a baby. Thanks for the post.

Cesar said...

laci was about 8 months pregnant wasn't she? at that point it's a viable baby.

the original article refers to the baby as both a fetus and a baby. if you would stop being so political about everything you read, you'd realize that the choice of words is unimportant. we all know that when the woman cut out the baby it was alive and well. this is different than a 1-month fetus.

Invisible Hand said...

Thanks for the post. I would like to make a point on the broader issue. I believe that it does matter which words you use. You see, words have meanings. All I have attempted to do it assign logic to the words that were used in the story. The amber alert was issued for a fetus. You mentioned Laci was 8 months pregnant, well so was Stinnett. Why not just issue the alert for a baby? Is it not a baby? I guess my question for you would be: At what point does a fetus become a baby?