Monday, November 22, 2004

Lost in the Shuffle

As we enter this week, many are filled with the anticipation of turkey, stuffing, pies and an afternoon spent in a shallow coma in front of a football game. (Mmmm.....fried turkey! Sorry, I'm back with you now.) Maybe it's just me but it seems you could totally miss the meaning of the holidays we celebrate if you relied entirely on what they are often called. It seems more than ever this year I have heard Thanksgiving referred to as Turkey Day. It really makes me pause. If you celebrate nothing more than a bird or a meal, I fear you have missed the point. This is a day to truly reflect and be thankful for all that God has given us. If you woke up this morning in America, you have more to be thankful for than most people in the world.
Before you slip off into that coma, this year I am making it a point to wish you all a Merry Christmas. You'll not hear a Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings from me this year. I celebrate Christmas. The birth of Jesus Christ. If you know the Reason for the season, I urge you to do the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not being sensitive to people of other religions
who do not celebrate Christmas. I think that you need to be sensitive to the culture around you. Why should you force your views on people around you?

Invisible Hand said...

First, thanks for your post. I appreciate your comments, but I think you are missing the point. I'm not forcing my views on anyone by wishing them a Merry Christmas. I am making an expression of the holiday I celebrate. If someone were to wish me a Happy Hanukkah, I certainly wouldn't be offended or assume they are trying to convert me to Judaism. I am simply saying that I do not wish to lose the meaning of Christmas and lump it in with the "holiday" season.
Also, I can't think of a group that has given up more in the name of tolerance than Christians. This post is the perfect example. I can't say Merry Christmas without being accused of insensitivity. You stated tht I need to be tolerant of the "cultures" around me, yet you and others like you do not feel the same compulsion to be tolerant of my beliefs. Maybe tolerance isn't a two way street.
Again, thanks for posting and have a Merry Christmas!!